What is Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM)?
RMM is the software and management tools used by a Managed Service Provider (MSP) to enable them to provide remote monitoring and remote management support services to a customer’s organisation. The software offers high visibility into a company’s endpoints and IT infrastructure. RMM is the process undertaken by an MSP on behalf of the customer which involves the tracking, proactive monitoring and managing of the entire IT network.
How Does Remote Monitoring Work?
The RMM software, such as ConnectWise Automate, allows an MSP to deploy agents seamlessly onto your IT network, workstations, servers and other computing hardware, giving full visibility and management control. The RMM platform then allows them to receive infrastructure information such as health, status and performance. Therefore, effectively managing your IT endpoints with the ability to identify errors and issues remotely to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
RMM services offering can completely transform your IT operations whilst reducing costs and minimising risk.
- Total visibility and management control from one central location
- Troubleshoot issues, deploy software and manage updates
- Tools for tracking tickets to resolve issues quickly
- Streamlines your IT workflows
- Identifies repair problems before you have chance to realise
- Remotely install and configure software
- Ability to apply fixes remotely
Why is Proactive Network Monitoring Needed?
These are the top four reasons we believe a proactive remote monitoring service is needed to support and protect your business-critical technology.
1. Reliability & Productivity
You will achieve a higher level of reliability by enabling remote monitoring of your systems which will ensure uptime and performance. All your IT assets (with an IP address) can be managed and maintained through one point of contact in real time, no matter where your location.
2. Enhance IT Security
Consistent and reliable monitoring of your IT infrastructure will ensure regular updates to your operating systems and make sure all vulnerabilities are patched as soon as they are discovered.
Your systems will be monitored closely 24×7 to ensure patches and firmware upgrades are updated as soon as they become available. This will ensure that your operating systems remain secure and protected from hackers (who target and exploit software vulnerabilities). RMM tools receive real time information such as intrusions or attempted security breaches, therefore enhancing security with alerts and taking the necessary immediate action.
3. Reduce Risk
Your IT infrastructure will be supported and maintained by IT professionals who employ best practices and have access to high quality technology to ensure compatibility and to ensure it runs smoothly. The RMM solution helps to detect and repair problems to reduce the risk of downtime and security risks.
4. Cost Savings
Due to its proactive approach your business will benefit from cost savings because remote monitoring can prevent costly IT issues from occurring. You can sign up to a flexible agreement with your MSP with a fixed monthly fee. This will ensure you remain within budget and the onus will be on the MSP to ensure your IT environment performs optimally within your agreed contract.
What Kind of Alerts will be Raised?
The remote monitoring solution will raise many different alerts to ensure your IT infrastructure remains safe, up to date and in full working order. Many of these network management alerts could be identified before you even realise you have a problem. These are examples of alerts that could be raised:
- Server offline
- Updates out of date
- Backup failure
- Low disk space
- New software installed
- AV disabled/out of date
- Services stopped
What are the Benefits of Remote Monitoring?
There are massive benefits of allowing an MSP to remotely monitor and manage your assets. These include the following:
- Protection of your network from malware and other attacks through patch management
- All your assets and devices can be managed through one point of contact
- Slash costs and time by remote troubleshooting of issues – they will be detected by your MSP before you even realise!
- Automatic and regular tasks which save time and improve efficiency
- Your hardware and software will be tracked for easy auditing
- Extend the life of your assets
- Decrease in downtime for minor issues
- Massively reduce risk
- Enables immediate response and faster resolution
- Delivers the highest level of maintenance
- Flexible agreement with a fixed monthly subscription